Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Blue Jane and Some Heaven

Today was about finishing. Well, finishing the finishing if that makes sense :)

DD's Jane Cardigan is dry now, and the ends are all woven in. Photo's have been taken, so I class it as finished.
I am loving the end result, both the knitting and the yarn. The yarn was one I found at the op shop and dyed specifically for this project. I love the non-solid colouring.

My only issue is that the sleeves seem too snug to fit for long. Next time I will either not do the decreases for the sleeve, or make sure I go another size up.

My Heaven. Well, what can I say? I love it! It isn't dry yet, I only washed it this morning and it is quietly blocking. But I am very happy (and proud) of the end result. Technically it wasn't planned from spinning to knitting, as I was spinning to knit a Citron. I spun a 2ply from this BFL Humbug gradient fiber from Corgi Hill Farm.

I was so insanely proud of the spin that after it had finished drying, I looped it as a scarf and wore it around for a little while, just so I could squish it constantly!

The BFL bloomed so well after spinning, plying and washing that there was no way I could knit a Citron - I was looking at a ~10ply yarn! So 198 Yards of Heaven it was to be. I didn't want to waste any of it, so I kept knitting until I almost ran out of yarn. This meant that it doesn't have a border like the pattern, but I am ok with that. There is only 15m left, which may or may not have completed 1 more row, but I didn't want to risk it ;)

I will have to get more photo's once it is dry.


Sunday, May 6, 2012

One Week Ago

We had a birthday in our house. Now we have a 9 year old. Scary.

There was the compulsory new outfit. Both Ottobre patterns, but without looking I can't tell you which. I had forgotten how annoying it is to top-stitch on corduroy though. It was the only suitable fabric in my stash that had enough length for my growing boy, and it does look so nice on him. There is enough length in the hems that the pants should last a good two winters.

He chose the cake form my cake books - it was the spider one out of one of the Australian Women's Weekly books, but then he made some design changes, such as no big spider and lots of other bugs stuck in the web. He also thought the web was better grey rather than black (as in the book) as this way it looked more like a web. I am happy with simple :)