Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cushions, Pj's and Sharks

Have nothing in common at all - except they all reside at my house.

After 8 years of using the same, flat, boring cushions, I decided we needed some new ones. So off I went to purchase some new inserts and make new covers. The covers are made from some remnant fabric (the blue) and a valance I found at the opshop quite a while ago. I just love the design, and it is quite a heavy cotton - sort of decorator weight I would guess. Just perfect for cushions. And they are. Except......after 8 years of being used, our old cushions gave me a false sense of how big they were. So I ended up with 14" cushions, and the old ones were 18". My husband likes the covers, just not the size. So I am going to need to make more and find a new home for the cushions and their covers.

Several months ago I purchased the Oliver + S Bedtime Stories Pj pattern, and plenty of scrummy flannelette to make my kids some new winter pj's. It took me about a month to get around to sewing them up. And once I had traced them, they didn't take much time at all. I think I sewed them on and off for about a week. I did snaps for closures instead of the ties - with my cold hands and wiggly kids, they would end up half dressed for bed! I do love them on the kids, they look fantastic. Overall, it is not a pattern I can say I am in love with. Had I gone by the measurements they would have been too small. So I went with what sizes I normally go with for my kids. I found the pattern to be quite long and slim. I took length off the sleeves for both of them, and didn't put the leg hem band on, as there was just too much length in there. So I did a nice big hem, and will hopefully drop it for next year after growth spurts. But the kids are super happy, want more lol So who can argue with that :)

With all the rain that has been happening here (well you know, it is winter and all that), some of the washing got a little bit behind. Poor DS was running out of long sleeved t-shirts. He was down to wearing on old RTW one from last year that was almost halfway between his wrist and elbow! I counted and he only had 5 including the too small one. So using the same pattern as I did for his birthday tops, I got one sewn up in just 2 hours! OMG!! That is a record for me lol And I am very happy with how it looks.


No comments: