School starts back this week - just 2 more sleeps.
DD is in year 1 this year, so needed a few extra items - an art shirt/smock, and a pencil case. I looked quickly online for a pattern for an art smock, but couldn't find one that I was happy with, so I pulled out my Enid Gilchrist books and flicked through. I found one that was roughly the right size, so using DDs measurements, drafted up a rough pattern. I didn't get it quite right, as when I sewed the sleeves on the neckline was rather uneven, so the casing for the elastic is far from perfect. But it will work and that is all that matters.
It is sewn from an op-shop bed sheet - a lovely thick cotton. The sleeve bottoms and neckline are gathered with elastic to make it easy for her to get on and off herself.
I think by the thumbs up it is satisfactory :)
Listed on the year 1 booklist is a pencil case, but I didn't want to buy one as they are not very nice quality at all. I also wasn't sure if she would use it, as DS didn't when he was in year 1. So I delved in the stash to see what we could come up with. This fabric was a remnant from SL, and the zip is a very old one that was given to me. I like that it matches almost exactly to the green :)
Packing the school supplies in bags to take to school, I noticed DS's pencil case from last year had started to get holes in it. He asked very nicely if I could make him a new one. So we picked some red corduroy (from the op-shop) and a bright blue zip from the stash.
Nice and shiny and new, all ready for school.