Friday, February 11, 2011

Pencil Tubs (made from a collection of bits and pieces)

A note was sent home from school after a few days, asking the children to please bring in 2 tubs/cups for their pencils to live in on their desk (this is for DD's class). I could've driven to the shops and bought some, but then they would've been like the other kids ones. Can't have that now, can we?

A chat with DH on what sort of size we needed, and dig in the recycling box for some tins..... Then DH comes up with the idea using PVC pipe. He even had some in the right diameter. So I left him to it and went back inside to cook tea. Not long after he brought 2 inside, complete with an MDF base - nice and sturdy!



So as we sat watching TV after the kids were in bed, I was armed with the fabric, and DH had the hot glue gun (because I am not very good at it, and managed to have the first attempt go hard before I even stuck the fabric to it, and then burnt myself when I tried again - some things are best left to husbands), and between us we managed to get them prettified :) Not perfect, but DD certainly thought they were wonderful.


Cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for the three R's, they look great, Your hubby is so handy!

Joy said...

Two projects-with-husband in a row! I think one of the keys to a good marriage is having shared interests - in other words, a hobby you do together. Why not crafting?

Anyway, those sure are cute, one-of-a-kind pencil cases!