Sunday, January 29, 2012

A New Drink Bottle Holder

After goodness knows how many years.

I have had my drink bottle holder for many years, I even tried replacing it about 7 years ago, but I couldn't buy another one the same, so I didn't bother. I wanted the zip down the side, and a long handle, as I wear it across my body when walking to and from school.



Every year, the poor bottle holder got progressively more and more worn. Its seams started to come apart, and it just looked very sad. When I saw Pink Chalk Studio's tutorial for a water bottle carrier, I swore I was going to make a new one. But I never did.
Until Friday. I was doing some sewing stuff and found the fabric in my stash (it came from my Grandma's stash) and told myself that today was the day I sewed a new water bottle holder.


I used insul-brite as my insulating layer, and thermal curtain lining for the inner layer of the holder (just because I happened to have a fair bit left from lining some curtains recently). I also found a perfect zip in a bag of zips I got from the opshop a while ago.


There was a bit of unpicking and cursing trying to work out the best way to construct it, but I got there in the end. I didn't follow the tutorial, but I did use the idea of a round bottom (it worked better than my idea of a square bottom, as I need it to stand without the risk of falling over).


It is bright, cheerful and makes me smile when I look at it.

Cheers!

3 comments:

JulieT said...

makes me smile too so cheerful and you did a fabulous job of it!

Lesley said...

Looks fabulous Liz

Heather said...

Very cute bottle holder! The fabric is adorable, and I like the visible zipper. I hope you get just as many years of use out of it as your old one. :)