Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Solar Dyeing Part 2 & 3

I decided to jump in and try some more solar dyeing while it was still hot and summer-y. So next up was some of the fleece I have been spinning. I washed it and left it to dry before deciding to dye it. Hence I didn't prep it properly and it could've benefited from a longer pre-soak. Ahh, the things you learn.

I used Wiltons Rose Pink for the pink, as I don't have pink in my Educational colours collection. The other 2 are though. I made up the dye amount and poured it over the fleece - I used less blue as I didn't want it to be too dark and over power the yellow and pink. Popped it in the solar oven and left it to it. After a few hours I checked and the water was clear, but the top layer wasn't very colourful as the dye had pooled at the bottom - possibly too much liquid? So I turned the fleece over, as carefully as I could (it was very hot!) and poured more dye gently over the top. Back in for a few more hours and then left to cool overnight.



I love the results!

It is a bit like spinning fairy floss :) Colourful and fun.


The 3rd go was to get a particular colour. I knew roughly what I wanted and after reading my book Teach Yourself Visually Hand-Dyeing, I had a rough idea on how to get it. So I mixed up my colours and put it all in the oven. And what do you know? It was the colour I wanted. Well close enough anyways. So now I have some hand spun yarn in the right shade that I dyed, with a project in mind, I just need to knit it up. How cool will that be!



Cheers!

No comments: