Saturday, February 7, 2009

Playing Catch-up

It has been awhile since I last posted and a fair bit has happened. The kids are back at school, DS is in Year 1, and in the same class as his best friend – so two happy boys, even though they don't sit next to each other. DD started Kindy last Thursday. It was only a half day, and next week will be two half days, on Tuesday and Thursday. Then the following week it will be two full days! DD is certainly looking forward to going back. There was no tears, from either of the kids, or us. I do miss them though – it is not quite the same at home without them. At least hubby is on holidays, so he is keeping me company for the the next two weeks :)

A few sewing projects have been completed, the latest one was finished today. DD needed a cushion for Kindy and wanted a princess one. My mum wanted to buy it, but couldn't find one that was suitable (they were all too small). So she and my sister found a panel of fabric with a princess on it, and some pretty buttons. I made up a cover with a button closure at the back. Not overly exciting, but functional, and my first cushion cover.




On Monday afternoon, DS informed me that his drink bottle had made his desk all wet. Hmm, ok. So the next day I send his bottle with a tea towel wrapped around it. Now, all I can say about my tea towels is that they are very well used. Not overly pretty let me tell you lol. Anyway, that afternoon, same problem, the bottom of his drink had still made the desk wet. Right – we need to fix this. A stubby holder wasn't big enough, so I had to make something. Then I remembered a lovely crafty mama, by the name of Tracy, had posted a tutorial on her blog on how she made some for her kids. Thankyou so much for this Tracy – made my job much quicker and easier!
So I followed her instructions using the measurements as a guide only, as I had different sized drink bottles. I decided to use some Insul-Brite to help keep the water cold for longer and just some cotton fabrics I had laying around. So get one all sewn up apart from the inside bottom seam, and try it on the drink bottle. It won't fit! It was too small :( Hence why they have a panel down the side. DS took it to school on Wednesday and told everyone proudly that 'Mummy made it!'



Today I finished off the Pink Fig Girly Stripwork Skirt for DD – all her skirts are about 2 years old, and the elastic is starting to go in them. So I got out my scraps from recently made items and managed to get enough to make 20 (yes 20!) strips. This makes for a very long length of fabric – about 2.5m!! Of which then needs to be gathered to a waistband of about 68cm. OMG! This was a perfect time to test out my new ruffler foot. After a little playing around, I got the settings right. Well so I thought. After ruffling it all, I went to attach it to the waistband, and it was ruffled too tight! Argh! So out came the unpicker, and I removed it and redid it. Even so, it was still quicker than if I had run two rows of gathering stitches, and gathered by hand. Plus it was fun!
A gorgeous skirt, but I don't care for the waistband at all. The drop waist is just awful on my DD. It sort of ended where her bottom ended. And then the skirt was way down past her knees. I changed it to just a basic folded over waist. Much better. Lovely and twirly as well :)





Sorry for the long winded-ness – I will try to update more frequently :)

Cheers!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Everything is lovely Liz. I really like what you did with the strip skirt. I think it looks better without the drop waist.

The Handmaden said...

The skirt is lovely, I really like the fabric combinations.