My first woven shirt with a collar and buttonholes! The pattern is Burda WOF 6-2008 #107A. The inspiration for this shirt was the fabric. My lovely Nan-in-law gave me the fabric at Christmas when she was cleaning (so I have no idea how old it is, but she said she had it sitting around for years), and I instantly knew that I wanted to make it into a collared, button up shirt, despite never having tackled something like this before (but that has never stopped me yet! lol).
A quick flick through my patterns turned up a pattern that I liked, and had actually traced off several months ago and hadn't gotten around to making. I did modify it a little by adding length to the body about 10cm, at the hem rather than at the waist. This gave it the perfect flare over my hips, and the pleats sat high enough, on my waist. 4 pleats in the front, 2 each side and 4 on the back of the shirt - this gives it a lovely fitted waist.
6 Buttonholes too - I have done the odd one, but not 6 at once and trying to get them even - oh my! A little practice, and taking it slow and they worked :) Fray stop was applied before I opened them, to help prevent them fraying - worked a treat.
The only part I found confusing was the semi-raglan sleeves. This just made it a little difficult to set them in. Oh, that and Burda WOF patterns can be a little brief in parts, but my copy of The Readers Digest Complete Guide to Sewing ($2.75 from the op shop) helped set me on my way. Plus I figure I am pretty good at bluffing now :)
We had a school reunion on the weekend, so that was the perfect outing for this shirt. I also wore my Valeska skirt. Lovely to wear and it looked pretty too :)