The dress was finally finished last week. It involved a decent amount of hand sewing, which is something that I am not very good at. But it was passable, and is also proof that practice can make perfect (though I am not very willing to get it perfect, that would require way too much practice!)
The pattern is one of my Grandma's and from what I could work out, is from sometime in the 60's. My Grandma originally made the long dress, I liked the red one :)
I had to do a few modifications, like take the front of the bodice in a bit at the top, and take about 6cm off the waist seam (I am guessing I am quite short in the waist!). I also added a smidge to go over my hips, so it wasn't clingy. All in all, it worked out well.
I made it from raw silk, which was interesting to work with, I had to interface the bodice, and all the seams and darts. I also fully lined it (another thing I have never done). I am glad I did it, to say that I have made a formal dress, but I am certainly in no hurry to make another. Some of the photos were taken after we got home, as the before ones, the dress was a bit scrunched up - so hence the swing set and no shoes or makeup :)
I think hubby scrubs up rather well too - poor bloke had to wear a tie for the occasion - first time I have ever seen him in one - and we had to go and buy it specially. :)
Look at that zip! The seams match up perfectly! I am very proud of this zip. (Sorry for the white bit at the top, seems the flash decided to overexpose my underarm lol)
Oh, and I needed a bag to match, but none of my black ones were quite right, so I dug out a zip, shortened it to the length I wanted, and made a bag with some leftover fabric :)