And I love it!
As soon as I saw the sleeve-less top (#4) in the July 2010 issue of Knipmode, I knew I wanted to make it. And as far as patterns go, it appeared relatively simple. Perfect for a first try sewing something for me from a foreign language magazine (it is in Dutch).
So after working out what colour lines I was looking for, and on what sheet (thank you babelfish), I traced out my size, added a good 5cm extra length to the hem and set about cutting the fabric.
I bought this fabric because I love purple, and I have another style of top a want to try that needs a light weight, slinky-ish knit. It was a bit slippery to work with, but lots of pins help.
I wasn't going to do the pleats at the neck, I was just going to gather it, but the pleating was so simple I went ahead. And I am glad, because it looks nice.
I am not sure what they intended you to do with the neckline, because you cut three pieces, 2 for the front neckline (one left, one right) and one piece for the back. I had already sewn a shoulder seam by this point (oops!), so I joined the neckline pieces together into one strip. This worked out ok, but the pieces were all too long (I don't know what the seam allowance included was, so it may have been my fault). Easily rectified and on I went.
The armholes were easy, but again, the binding seemed too long (next time I will shorten it and pull it a bit when attaching, as I feel it doesn't sit close enough to my body).
I do love the gathering in the side seams - helps hide the lumps and bumps :D
I could have not added the extra length, it seems these patterns are about spot on length-wise for me! Woot!