When I finished the shawl back in November, I didn't have a chance to block it before needing it. I also didn't know how to. After stumbling across a thread on Ravelry about how blocking can make your lace items truly stunning (and my luck is that I can't find that thread again), I decided to give it a go.
Here it is just on the floor before.
And on me before.
I soaked it for 15 minutes, rolled in a towel and laid it out flat on a blanket on the lounge room floor (one of the few benefits of having not got rid of the ugly carpet just yet - I can stick pins in it!)
There is a pin in each of the edging loops, down the middle line, and across the top sort of evenly. I tried to get it symmetrical, and left it overnight to dry.
I am not sure it made a huge amount of difference, but it is slightly bigger - both width and depth. It also feels softer and well, at least it has had a wash :)
So if you can point me to any great pages on blocking feel free to leave a comment.