A while back, sadly about 3 months ago now - where does the time go! - I made myself a new bag. Unfortunately the one I made here, was starting to wear out at the corners from such constant use.
I liked that bag, but I wanted a few changes - such as better pockets inside, a zip closure and a key clip at DH's request (so I wasn't always digging into the bottom of my bag for my keys).
The shape of my old bag was lovely, so I used that as a base to draft up my own pattern and cut out the sides. It was way too big, so I cut the front and back in half and removed a good chunk - this left me with the problem of seams in the middle of the pieces. Scrummy ribbon to the rescue. What a better to use up some of my ribbon stash :)
Midway through I chose to add a gusset(??), not sure if that is the correct terminology, anyway, so that the pockets I was planning sat in the right place and weren't wrapped down along the bottom seam. Oh the joys of designing something yourself :)
So inside I did 3 elasticated pockets, the middle one, due to a slight miscalculation on the designers behalf, incorporated a pleat hehe. A zippered pocket that sits between the lining and the outer, and a key clip. That key clip has been invaluable. No more scrabbling for my keys when running through the rain or with hands full of shopping.
I followed the instructions loosely for the pockets and the top zipper from The Bag Making Bible. It is a great book that covers many techniques that are found in most bag patterns - lots of pictures and clear instructions.
Fabric is denim from the op-shop, I think it cost a grand total of $1 for a huge piece, and some quilting cottons - possibly Michael Miller. The ribbons are Farbenmix from Crafty Mama's.
To go with it I made a small zippered pouch - to use some scraps hanging around.